How to get rid of head lice? If this is something you are looking for, you are at the right spot. Head lice can be a very troubling and embarrassing problem for anyone facing it. Children are the most common target for head lice, but this problem can affect anyone irrespective of their age or gender. Even men can face the problem of head lice.
The common myth around the problem of head lice is that it is caused due to unhygienic conditions, but this is not at all the truth. Head lice can spread in many ways; however, the most common ones are common hairbrushes, combs, common clothes or sleeping in the same bed. This is the reason why kids are the easiest targets for head lice.
How To Get Rid Of Head Lice?
Here are some amazing methods to help you get rid of head lice. Head lice are small wingless insects that suck on blood from your scalp and lay eggs. This cycle goes on and with too many head lice on your head you cannot think of anything else but only the lice that are on top of you. In this article, the home remedies for head lice will blow off your mind and the head lice from there. Here are some of the best ways on how to treat head lice.
This can be the most effective and easy to use a home remedy to get rid of head lice and nits. The high concentration of acetic acid in vinegar successfully kills these little buggers and even the nits.
- To use vinegar, you would also need an equal amount of mineral oil.
- Add the two together and apply it to your head a night before you rinse your hair.
- Now cover your head with a shower cap and let it stay overnight.
- The next morning, wash your hair with your regular shampoo.
- Then rinse it with some water and vinegar again.
- Leave it for another ten minutes and then rinse your hair again with plain water.
Doing this regularly for the next few days will kill these tiny insects within no time. You can even comb your hair with a nit comb to clear out your hair of any dead hair lice.
Until now, you have used mayonnaise only on your sandwiches and as dips for your nachos, but have you ever wondered that this same mayonnaise could be used to kill head lice and its eggs. The mechanism is simple. When you massage mayonnaise on your head, you suffocate these little insects to death. Follow the steps given below:
- Massage your head with mayonnaise. Use a lot of mayonnaise for this job.
- Cover it with a shower cap and let it stay for 5-6 hours.
- The oil base in mayonnaise suffocates lice, which you can then comb out.
- Use the plain mayonnaise and not the flavored one.
- Leave it for a while and then wash off.
- Repeat the procedure 7-8 times on consecutive days for desired results.
Using mayonnaise also helps you in a way, as it does not damage your hair follicles like the other chemical products, which you may use to get rid of lice.
One of the best answers to the question – how to get rid of head lice is none other than onions. The high sulphur acid in onions is a strong insect repellent. They are natural and readily available in everyone’s house. To use onions to kill head lice, follow the procedure below:
- Grind 4-5 onions in a blender and make a fine paste out of it.
- Now put this paste in a cloth and squeeze out the juice from it.
- Apply the juice on your scalp and cover your head with a shower cap.
- The sulphur acid in onion juice will do the rest of its job.
- Leave it for two to three hours.
- After this, rinse your hair with shampoo and lukewarm water.
- Dry your hair later and comb it with a nit comb to clear out the nits and dead lice.
This is an easy and effective way to eliminate head lice. You will have to repeat this procedure a few more days consecutively and then once in a month if the problem is severe.
4.Garlic & Lemon Juice
Just like onions, garlic also has a high sulphur acid and the strong smell of garlic kills the lice. To kill the head lice using garlic, here is what you need to do:
- Grind a handful of garlic cloves into a paste.
- Mix a spoonful of lemon juice in it.
- Apply this concoction on your scalp.
- Let it stay for at least half an hour.
- Wash your hair with a mild shampoo to get rid of the smell of lice.
Lemon too has strong antibacterial properties and along with garlic, it will fight lice and nits effectively.
5.Tea tree oil/Neem oil
The main problem of head lice is the itching it causes. Itching in front of colleagues or friends can be a huge problem and cause embarrassment. Tea tree oil works for two purposes; it kills lice and soothes the irritation caused by lice. It is a complete natural insecticide used in many cosmetic products too. It is also quite expensive, and you need only a few drops of it to do the job. Remember that tea tree oil is a very strong product, so do not use more than 2-3 drops in an ounce of shampoo. To use tea tree oil for lice, follow the steps given here:
- Mix a few drops with your regular shampoo and wash your hair with this mixture.
- After you dry your hair, use a nit comb to clear your hair of the lice.
Neem oil will also work in the same way, and it is a cheaper alternative to tea tree oil. You can use neem oil in large quantity as compared to tea tree oil. In a similar way, you can also use olive oil or eucalyptus oil to treat head lice. If not with the shampoo, use any of these oils, except tea tree oil, and massage your scalp with these oils. Let this oil stay for 20-30 minutes on your scalp. This will kill the head lice and provide immediate relief.
These effective and easy to use methods on how to get rid of head lice will surely pay heed to your troubles and kill these little blood-sucking insects finally.