People who are pet lovers usually have dogs to take care of. Dogs are not only considered as man’s best friend but also a great companion. Yes, taking care of dogs can be more expensive than you can imagine, and a bit S-E-N-S-I-T-I-V-E too because like humans, dogs can have allergies and health conditions too. You cannot just feed anything to a dog. Though there are many argued topics as to what foods to give a dog and what not to, one of the most frequently asked questions is – can dogs eat grapes?
Can Dogs Eat Grapes?
Also Read: Can Dogs Eat Bananas?
Grapes And Dogs
The reason why some dogs develop kidney failure after eating grapes is not yet known. However, continuous studies are being made to answer this important question. A mycotoxin, most commonly known as molds, is the prime suspect for the toxicity. But, none has been found in grapes ingested by dogs.
Another theory involved in grape poisoning is the presence of copper compounds. Since organic farming usually uses copper compounds as a fungicide (and fungus is considered as a big problem in commercial grape operations), this might affect dogs.
Certain dog breeds such as the West Highland White Terrier, Doberman Pinscher and the Bedlington Terrier are genetically sensitive to copper. Due to the combination of grape-infused copper compound and breed-specific genetic sensitivities, this has been added to the possible reasons as to why some dogs are affected by grape ingestion.
Signs And Symptoms Of Grape Ingestion In Dogs
Since you already know that grapes for dogs are considered bad, you should also know what are the signs and symptoms of grape toxicity in dogs that you need to watch out for:
- Loss of appetite
- Pain in the abdomen
- Being unusually quiet
- Urinary problems such as small or no urine are passed out
- Kidney problems
- Vomiting and diarrhea
Note: This usually happens after a few hours of grape ingestion. Vomit and feces may contain traces of grapes after 24 hours.
What To Do If Your Dog Has Eaten Grapes?
If you become aware or suspects that your dog has eaten grapes (no matter how small the amount is), consult your vet immediately or at the soonest possible time. Intravenous fluids should be given immediately within 48 hours as this will increase the chances of your dog’s survival.
Do not wait for the signs and symptoms to worsen before calling your vet, as it may be too late to save your dog already. Remember, grapes toxicity is not yet well understood by many so it is better to get prompt and immediate treatment to have bigger chances of saving your precious dog.
First Aid Treatment At Home
You can help the dog have a better chance of survival if you know how to administer first aid during grape poisoning. Here are the tips that you can do at home to treat your dog:
- Induce vomiting using hydrogen peroxide: Give 1 teaspoon of the solution in every 5 lbs of your dog’s weight. One of the signs and symptoms of grape ingestion is already vomiting, so you won’t have to force them to vomit. If any case that your dog is not vomiting, you should make him do it to get rid of the grape content in his system. However, if your dog is unconscious, having difficulty breathing or showing signs of serious shock and distress, do not induce vomiting and rush him to the nearest animal doctor immediately.
- Give your dog activated charcoal: Activated charcoal is also a good treatment for poison among humans. It will minimize the absorption rate of the substance that causes the rapid kidney failure. If you do not have an activated charcoal, however, what you can do is to burn some toast and let your dog eat it. The blacker and more charred the toast is, the more efficient it is in treating toxicity.
Though you did first aid at the comforts of your home, it is still best if you bring your dog to the vet after because they can examine your dog completely and can give further treatment to ensure that your dog will indeed survive the whole ordeal.
Grapes for dogs are not a good snack treat. If you love your dog yet you also love to eat grapes at the same time, ensure that you keep all of your grapes tightly sealed in a container that your dog can’t open. Also, store the container in a place that your dog cannot reach.
You should also take into account food, which contains grapes as either major or minor ingredients. Before giving something to your dog, make sure that you read and understand the label and ingredients correctly because you might be sorry later on if you do not.
Despite the lack of answers to the dilemma can dog eat grapes, safety precautions and prevention is always better than cure. So gear up, and say goodbye to grapes for now.
Image Inspiration: freepik